PCI Films Consulting Ltd. has released a report showing the growth of the stand-up pouch in flexible packaging. Stand-up pouches currently have a global demand of 80 billion units, with a growth rate estimated at 5-8 percent per year. The US market only has increased by 50% in the last 5 years.
A number of factors are pushing the growth of the stand-up pouch market.
- machinery improvements in terms of speed and ability to incorporate items such as zippers
- improvements in barrier films
- environmental benefits such as lower storage costs
- consumer convenience
- light weight
- easy to open
- increase of eating and drinking on the go
- attractiveness to retailers