Stretch wrap or stretch film is a highly stretchable plastic film that is wrapped around items. The elastic recovery keeps the items tightly bound. In contrast, shrink wrap is applied loosely around an item and shrinks tightly with heat.
It is frequently used to unitize pallet loads but also may be used for bundling smaller items.
Types of stretch film include bundling stretch film, hand stretch film, extended core stretch film, machine stretch film and static dissipative film.
Benefits of Stretch Wrap:
- Stretch wrap loads are more secure which minimize shipping damages
- UVI stretch films can protect products stored outdoors from UV Rays
- Strong opaque films conceal load contents and reduce instances of theft
- Opaque stretch films are great for color coding products
- Stretch films keeps products free of dust, moisture and dirt
- Increased packaging operation efficiency
- Improved Inventory control, by allowing for visual inspections
- Increases worker productivity
- Scan-through optics
- Stretch wrap film is recyclable
- Stretch wrap film is versatile
- Cost Effective, Stretch wrap is less expensive than strapping and other types of pallet wrapping.
- Adaptable, there is a wide variety of stretch films available for different applications.
- Stretch wrap can be applied to flat surfaces as well as pointed surfaces.
How Do I know what size of film to use? Different sized thicknesses and widths of film are needed for different applications. Use the chart below to find which thickness and width would be ideal for your application.
To determine which thickness and width would be ideal for your application: